How should we judge a government?

In Malaysia, if you don't watch television or read newspapers, you are uninformed; but if you do, you are misinformed!

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." - Malcolm X

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain

Why we should be against censorship in a court of law: Publicity is the very soul of justice … it keeps the judge himself, while trying, under trial. - Jeremy Bentham

"Our government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no
responsibility at the other. " - Ronald Reagan

Government fed by the people

Government fed by the people

Career options

Career options
I suggest government... because nobody has ever been caught.

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?

Corruption so prevalent it affects English language?
Corruption is so prevalent it affects English language?

When there's too much dirt...

When there's too much dirt...
We need better tools... to cover up mega corruptions.

Prevent bullying now!

Prevent bullying now!
If you're not going to speak up, how is the world supposed to know you exist? “Orang boleh pandai setinggi langit, tapi selama ia tidak menulis, ia akan hilang di dalam masyarakat dan dari sejarah.” - Ananta Prameodya Toer (Your intellect may soar to the sky but if you do not write, you will be lost from society and to history.)

Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Confirmed: some supermarket cashiers cannot count

Within a few months, I had the experience of buying 3 cartons of Tesco fresh milk in Kampar and charged for only 2, and buying 3 cartons of Just Juice (pineapple) at Aeon Station 18 and charged for 4!

On both occasions, I was in a hurry and only one item was purchased. I suppose cashiers rely too much on their machines instead of own eyes and brain. Once, in a Chinese restaurant in Menglembu, a mistake (understated) was easily spotted by the lady boss.

Last Saturday, I missed lunch again and at 2.30pm, decided to go to Aeon Station 18 in Ipoh. It wasn't my day. After closing the gate, I spotted a tyre puncture. The car was already under the hot sun and I was reluctant to move it to a shady area for fear of damaging the tyre. I had to take a break twice: to avoid the hot sun as well as to take it easy because I found it tough now (old, unlike before). Had it been our 4WD, I would have had to call the tyre man. I had to prove that I can still change a tyre of a small car.

Since I had in mind to buy only pineapple juice from Aeon (Just Juice from Indonesia  is only Rm5.50 compared to over Rm7.00 for an American brand in Tesco), I parked my car outside Aeon. Without a basket, I carried the 3 cartons to the cash counter. Maybe, I was in a hurry and partly, after changing tyre and already hungry, I wasn't paying attention to what the cashier said. Handed to her a Rm50 note and took the change without checking, and then realised it was a Saturday (no plastic bag day),  and I had to do without. Went over to buy 2 small pizzas, and just about manage to carry them without a bag! I can still remember seeing an Indian security woman eyeing me with suspicion. In retrospect, had she checked me, I would have discovered there and then, the mistake of being overcharged by a carton!

Anyway, it was only when I reached home and looked at the receipt that I found the mistake. Actually, I did not expect a refund, since I was already back home. But I felt I need to point out the mistake (due to whatever reason), so that Aeon management will know about it. I called up their call centre at 1300 80 2366 to inform them. Tuesday evening, got a call from Aeon asking me if I had received a call from Aeon St 18 and was told the report no. to check with them. When asked the chance of getting a refund as I would not bother since I cannot prove anything other than the receipt, she replied, 'very high' since I have the receipt. I would tend to believe her since Aeon is a reputable company and nobody in his right mind would complain if not wrongly charged.

Another reason why I bothered is because as an old man, within months, I encountered 2 mistakes by supermarket cashiers. 'Why me?' or 'Is it me or something else which caused such mistakes. Maybe I look senile. In other words, in our daily transactions, we have to be mindful and not accept everything without some mental checks. Maybe, ignorance is truly bliss!

Update: Just got back from Aeon Station 18 and the refund was not as straightforward as I had expected. There was no one at the Customer Service side and the lone lady in charge of membership tried to contact somebody to deal with me.  After going through a few staff members who hadn't a clue what to do, finally the Manager came along. I explained and in the process, when someone mentioned checking the CCTV, I actually agreed that they should take their time to view it at the time stated in the receipt! Anyway, I was given the choice of refund or buying something else and pay for any shortfall, but I opted for having a carton of juice to make it up, just to simplify the matter. In fact, if the Point of Sale system (or any other similar system) is working satisfactorily, there should be one extra carton of juice on the shelf!

Link

No comments: